Tuesday, June 5, 2012

An Honest Exchange

This person is a person I see so much of myself in, mirrored back at me, that sometimes talking to them can cause severe discomfort. Working through it, because they are important to me, but we had a dialogue on a social media website about food addiction. I want to remember it forever.


Holly **************
15 minutes ago near Woodbridge · 
  • Food addiction can be compared to an opiate addiction. I knew food could be addictive, but I didn't know just how much...
     ·  · 

    • AS, CB and MG like this

      • **** Just about anything can give you a dopamine fix--
        especially if your body doesn't make enough.

      • ME: It makes me sad for the younger me that didn't know there
        were people who could help, and the current me who is struggling
        after feeding an addiction for so long :( Only one way to go from
        here though I guess. People understand drug and cigarette and
        alcohol addictions. A lot harder to get understanding and empathy
        for a food addiction. "Stop being fat, fatty!" - something I saw on a
        forum for overeaters before. Heh. disheartening :)

      • ME: Also, in losing weight I'm realizing how broken things underneath
        the surface are, and have been, for so long Battling an addiction...yeesh!
        What an impossible thing it seems sometimes. Seriously never knew it
        could be compared to opiate addiction though. That's brutal.
      • **** Yeah, if you don't have a traditional eating disorder, it's easy to
        dismiss. That's unfortunate, because all disordered eating needs recognition.
      • **** *hugs* Sending you a little strength. I'm a dopamine addict,
        myself, and food is one of the ways I have fed that addiction.

      • MEdirection* And thanks. Wishing you as much success in battling
        your own demons. I've said it before and shall say it again..it's hard
        to believe how many skeletons can fit in one lil' ol' person.

No comments:

Post a Comment