Tuesday, April 5, 2011

A+T+T+I+T+U+D+E = 1+20+20+9+20+21+4+5 = 100%

Old Size: 28WP - Current Size 18WP
Attitude is one hundred per cent. I noticed that when I was feeling down and depressed nothing was happening. It was almost as if my negativity was willing my body to do the opposite of what I actually wanted to do - and that was holding on to the weight that was the source of my unhappiness. Now, I know somepeople might argue that losing weight won't make you happy, but I think they're wrong. I think that once one has dealt with the underlying issues that caused the problem in the first place (emotional, mental, physical, financial?) one should be able to confidently say "I would be happier if I was skinnier". Healthier is the goal, but to actually be smaller and fit in just that little bit better with society feels good (at least to me.) I'm not saying our bodies must conform to the rail-thin waifish models we see walking the runways, but fat people do NOT have an easy go of things in this life.

Fat discrimination is real, and (speaking only from experience) I think that it hurts as much as other forms of discrimination. However, and this might be my extremist opinion here, in most cases people can control their weight more than another person could control their skin tone, gender, sexual preference, and the like. So, rather than continue to be a victim of the horrible discrimination that is still somehow considered acceptable, I'm going to change myself and motivate myself. And when I get where I want to be I want to work hard to help other people. I want to change the way people think about being fat, and I want to change the way people act when someone is fat.
Weighed in at 233.5 today!

Being fat is not a sin, and it isn't a crime. It is, barring distinct medical reasoning, the combination of looking at a few things in our lives with the wrong perspective. At least, that is my opinion, and I feel it's pretty well grounded. We eat because society makes all social hubs food-involved. We eat because someone has harmed us and we wish to cocoon ourselves in a security blanket of food that never lets us down. We eat because someone has left us and food is a comfort that never will. We eat for so many reasons...and then we do the work of perpetuating a negative society by condemning ourselves (which really only seems to make people more depressed) for not being "perfect". We are our own worst critics.

Well, one of my biggest hopes is that people will stop punishing themselves. I hope that people will stop using the word "Fat" like a disparaging remark - It's simply a way to physically describe something. I hope that mothers will stop punishing their daughters (whether knowingly, or not) for being fat, and I hope that fat people feel WORTHY enough to get out there and make a few changes to see them healthier. So many fat people don't feel worth it..and what a crime that is! We're all human beings and all inherently worthy of love, respect and happiness. We're all owed safety and security in our lives and in ourselves. I just wish more people could see that.

Smile and give love to the Fat Folk, because they are people too. Encouragement and happiness will help someone make more progress than horrible discrimination ever could.

Eggs out.

1 comment: