Monday, May 23, 2011

Society And All Its Ills

One of the people I'm friends with posted this picture on their Facebook wall. Although I see the obvious discomfort of having your mother's butt squished into your face it still upset me.  How can this kind of a thing be made a spectacle on the Internet? It's so sad, and what a horrible attitude to find this a source of amusement. To me I could only focus on the positives: 1) She's a larger woman riding a bicycle, burning calories and getting healthier. 2) She's bringing her child along for bike rides and the child will remember these as bonding moments, even with no helmet on (bad!) and despite Mom's butt in her face. 3) Who's to say she hasn't been trying to lose weight, perhaps she's already succeeded some, and perhaps she's still busting booty every day just to end up ridiculed for her continued efforts.

Ridicule McDonalds, tut tut school lunches and their lack of whole nutrition, blame the cuts to the education system that gets rid of P.E, point the finger at whatever out there that makes people bigger than they need to be - but don't attack the people trying their best to do better for themselves. If someone who is larger, or unhealthy, or has a condition chooses to eat crap - let them. It's no one's place to judge. If they get so big their heart explodes well..I suppose that's their choice and they've brought themselves to that consequence. You can't be alive today and not know the difference between healthy food and fast food. If someone has started eating themselves to death and then makes the realization that it's not the way they want to live their lives then the only thing they should receive is love and encouragement.

This kind of crap makes me so angry because I worry sometimes that I'm perceived the same way. Someone might look at me now at 225 pounds and think I'm a lardybutt that does nothing but eat doughnuts and watch television. The reality is that I've worked hard to get to where I am, and no one has the right to ridicule me or try to take that away. I really wish people would give fat jokes a break - It is the final frontier of socially acceptable jokes on a specific demographic. I don't think racism, sexual preference, or religion are areas that most people (some people are still awful, but thankfully none that *I* know) feel comfortable making jokes about. Why is it that sizism is still perfectly is okay?

Society makes me so unhappy sometimes. Let's all stop judging and start loving a little more, okay? :) And hidden in all of that "society is poopy!" mini-rant, I have a goal: Getting back on Eat to Live solidly, no exceptions, starting TOMORROW. at 12:01am on May 24, 2011 my butt is getting back to basics and I'm going to start doing what I know works for me since I've gained a few pounds. I'm not sure how and I'm mostly just praying it is either water retention or muscle mass or something like that. Who knows *why* it is, I just know I have to beat it. Weigh-in in 16 days. It'll be my final weigh-in at Curves! :(

"If you pay attention to when you are hungry, what your body wants, what you are eating, when you've had enough, you end the obsession because obsession and awareness cannot coexist." -Geneen Roth 

 

Eggs out xx

No comments:

Post a Comment