Thursday, May 24, 2012

A Different Kind Of Mother

Lake Ridge Marina
Although I understand that experiences can be costly, and therefore sometimes need to be found on the cheap, procured with a discount or spaced months apart, I also believe they are vital to building a cohesive family unit. It upsets me sometimes when I see parents talking about how they spend all this time with their children when really they hang out on their computer all day, or just drag their kids around in the back of their car all day while they run errands for this purpose or that. I am determined to be a different kind of mother!

Lake Ridge Marina
Active 2012 has been really exciting, so far. We had a wonderful day as a family at Lake Ridge Marina, located within Lake Ridge Park. We rented a four person paddle boat and explored the inlet. There were ducks, geese, a beautiful blue heron and the other standard water fowl. We saw snapping turtles, painted turtles, and what we thought was a cute little red-ear sunbathing on driftwood. Fish lept out of the water to snap at dragonflies, and dragonflies landed on stray petals that floated on the water. It was scenic, idyllic and wonderful to have had that one-ness as a family. On the website for Lake Ridge Parks & Recreation it says,


"Experience isn't expensive, it's priceless."


Frying Pan Farm
I've decided that is my new personal motto. It always has been, but nothing has ever summed it up so succinctly. My personal motto, and personal response to people that question any extravagance we encounter giving life to our children. More than computers and video games...the things that don't matter. I'm focusing solely on the things that do. Activities you can get dirty doing, activities that expand your mind and challenge what you thought to be true, activities that might be uncomfortable but will broaden your horizons and make you realize what a small, but integral part you play in this world.

I've been struggling with my body image. Losing weight hasn't been easy. Oh, at the beginning it was all fun and games. The numbers were big and easy to lose. Choices were less specific which led to a broader and more overall level of happiness with my diet. My body hadn't yet begin to look hapless, sad and defeated. I hadn't yet realized how many demons I had inside that I needed to face, address and then vanquish - alone.

Enjoying Every Minute Of It
It has been a journey and this journey will continue on for the rest of my life. Having been obese I will always hold the ability to become that way again. Having now been smaller, a size 8-10, I also realize that if I want to keep it that the cycle will never end. It will change, but it will never end. There is much to sort out, but in the mean time I'm going to start experiencing everything I can get my hands on, or hands in.

My life is about to begin, and I can't help but wonder if the saying "Calm before the storm" might also apply in reverse to "Storm before the calm." I had my storm, and am now finally finding a measure of peace within myself.

Life is a journey - an adventure. I plan to experience and enjoy every part of it.

Eggs out
xx

No comments:

Post a Comment