Saturday, April 9, 2011

The Big One-Oh-Oh and Life Happenings

Weight Chart Trends
This week spelled a huge achievement for me. I hit 231 pounds on my official weigh-in, and since I started at 331 pounds, that means I've lost a whopping 100 pounds! Here are a few things that weigh one hundred pounds, in case you were interested: A large male deer, 70" diameter pumpkin, a HAL-3 missile, a baby hippo...yeesh the list goes on, and on! I can't imagine carrying around a deer, so it astounds me that for so long I was essentially backpacking Bambi day in and day out and it makes me wonder how someone's joints and skeletal structure can stand up to that kind of a beating every day. I guess it isn't possible to do it for too long before something goes awry..I'm glad I decided to change my life while I'm still young enough to spring back with less damage than there was the potential for. To celebrate I got a new (to me) elliptical and am getting a bicycle and a new bathroom scale that measures in 0.2 increments. It's like CHRISTMAS! Hehe.

I count it as 100 since my start weight was not in decimal

Pictured: Me (L), Karen (R)
One thing that has helped me with the weight loss has been Curves. It's the woman only gym that I have discussed in previous entries and the women that go there are "Real Women" - not the kinds of women I've seen in a Gold's Gym or a Bally Total Fitness. Real women, real chubby bits, real endurance levels, real sweat, and real determination. One person that has made a huge difference in my life has been Karen, a trainer/manager at the Lake Ridge Curves location. All of the trainers have helped in their own ways, but Karen is the one that I signed up with, the one that remembers the progress I've made, and the one I like to have weigh and measure me because she's just so full of positivity and encouragement. She makes the location a much better place to frequent! I highly recommend Curves to all women just starting their weight loss journeys.

Another exciting thing I've done is sign up to run for the Curves team at this year's Relay For Life, supporting the American Cancer Society. I'm excited about the prospects of participating in such a good cause whilst also getting out there and burning some calories! I know many people, in my family and without, that have been affected by Cancer and I hope that in some small way my participation will help bring some kind of valid treatment options to the forefront. I understand that there will likely never be a cure...Cancer seems far too resilient for that, but better treatments options are something I hope to see within my lifetime. What a worthwhile cause it is! If anyone reading feels like making a donation to the Relay for Life just let me know. I've set a goal to raise $100 in 30 days and really hope to be able to make my goal with the help of all my family and friends.

I'll finish this check-in entry with a list of my week's exercising totals! It seems I've burned 3085.5 calories - wowza! I burn about 375 calories per curves work out, and then with the few miles I walked it really all added up this week. I hope I can keep this kind of activity level up because it makes me feel great, inspired and healthy!

1 comment:

  1. I am so incredibly proud of and happy for you! You have done such an amazing job, and I'm happy that I get to see this transformation (hopefully I'll see you in person soon!). You are a true inspiration to those of us who haven't quite gotten going full steam (and for those who have!). You're awesome-sauce. <3

    ReplyDelete