Thursday, August 11, 2011

Emotional Alternatives [002/020]

Emotional eating is a habit that many of us overweight and/or unhealthy people learn as a method of coping with any extreme emotions. Many people eat when they are sad, eat when they are happy, eat when they are bored, eat when they are frustrated, or just eat because it is there. We eat to take back a sense of control, we do it for spite, we do it to hurt ourselves, and we do it to protect ourselves from hurt. Eating has become less about nourishment and more about satisfaction: Living to eat, rather than eating to live.

When it's put plainly like that it's easy to see how quickly those negative choices can impact one's waistline, because let's face it: No one binges on turnips. Foods of choice are normally sugar, salt or fat laden and clog up our arteries just as quickly as we're packing it in our mouths. As a society we abuse food and then are abused by food in turn with poor health, poor coping mechanisms and a poor relationship with a substance we require to live. For many it's a losing battle: How can a food addict that emotionally eats ever escape their 'drug' of choice when their 'drug' is something they absolutely must have?

So, how did I do it? I don't know when the switch flipped, and I still find myself reaching for sweets whenever I get overwhelmed and life gets tough. In many ways I feel like a hypocrite writing about this topic; although I have a much healthier relationship than food than I ever had I still fear losing control. I've caught myself unawares, putting things in my mouth that I don't consciously want to eat. I spit it out, I sigh, and I start again. In many ways I'm like a recovering substance abuser at times, my first inclination is to go back to abusing that substance and I do it without thought.

I think the key to my own success has been catching myself and realizing what I'm doing to myself. Realizing I deserve better and don't want to put harmful substance in my body. Chocolate isn't a harmful substance, I do eat it from time to time and I enjoy it...but anything eaten or indulged in without thought and out of desperation is harmful - I truly believe that.

So what can we do instead of emotional eating? With it being such a common method of coping for so many people and often encouraged by well-meaning friends and family it's hard to figure out how to get back in control. Punch a pillow, go for a walk, take up sport - the same old 'cheese' that every article out there offers as substitution. I guess the only thing that ever worked for me was thinking about the calories in what I was going to eat, adn knowing what when I was feeling happier or more in control that I'd regret the hell out of it. Sure it might appease me right now, but in a day when skies were a little more blue I'd have to work twice as hard to get it out of my system. I've seen the calories in emotional-eating food, and I've seen the work that goes into getting rid of it - am I just lazy maybe? Either way, that works for me but since everybody is different I guess the only advice I can offer is to 'find what works for you and stick to it.' Pretty sage advice, but not very helpful ;)

This leads me to a healthy rewards system. It's nice to feel indulged but finding the things that make us feel good without using food can be difficult. Finding a way to incorporate healthy habits into our rewards is also challenging - but I've finally found a way! I got an exercise bike as a reward (forget which set-reward it was though), and new clothes that really show off my new body and hard work have been great. I've purchased a few things like scales, and a body fat analyzer as rewards to help me keep achieving my goals and I couldn't be happier with them. I think massages, tools of the trade, new journals, new cookbooks, healthy activities with the family (hiking, swimming, day at the National Park) and things like that are great rewards and things that can be had without any guilt afterward.

So I guess that is what I think about this topic in the 'here and now'. I wonder if I'll still feel the way at the end of this leg of the journey? I guess I'll have to do a recap at that time - 135 pounds...so close, yet so far. I can do this with the use of healthy rewards as a positive tool behind me.

Eggs out
xx

No comments:

Post a Comment