Tuesday, October 25, 2011

A Gold Medal Within Reach


I'm not ready for the pictu-*Click!*
Tonight after work at the Chiropractic office, I poddled over to the Gold's Gym which is beside my office. A free all-inclusive gym membership is an amazing work benefit; how much luckier can a girl trying to lose weight get?! So I walked in prepared to hit up the BodyJam class at 7:30pm. I was psyched, I was ready, I was HORRIBLY UNPREPARED. I am clearly not coordinated enough to be able to dance to any choreography. The class is an hour long and I did my very best for 45 minutes. I kept mis-stepping and always ended up back-asswards from the rest of the class. After a 45 minute solid and true effort I decided what was best for me would be to leave the class and bust it out on some machines.

I didn't quit - I just readjusted my focus. At first I thought perhaps I was a big stinky quitter, but I picked myself up by my bootstraps and hopped onto a stair-climbing style elliptical. I wasn't getting what I went to the gym for in that choreographed aerobics/dance class so it makes perfect sense I left and went after what I went there for. After I worked out on that I hopped onto a bicycle and put myself into the "Fat Burn" mode and busted my booty on that for ten minutes. I then drove home, and poked my husband into a short half-mile run. We had set a timer to see how fast we could do it (he was sick so he petered out half way) and by the time I got back the timer had done something weird and stopped working. I never got a time...but I'm going to by a stop watch for the future. I'm excited to really get out and get race training for the Zombie 5k next year and perhaps a few more events between here and there as well.

I was so discouraged the first time I ran on our at-home elliptical for the first time since being back from Canada. I had lost so much of my conditioning and my muscles were nowhere near as strong and toned as they had been. I want back what I had 35 pounds ago - I could run with so much ease. Now it burns when I run. I know my lung infection didn't help, but ultimately I know my conditioning has gone down the toilet and I'm going to get it back!

I was thinking of going to the Latin Dance class at Gold's but I think I'll just hit the gym tomorrow and skip the dance class. I'm simply not coordinated enough to do choreographed fitness. I am going to do the yoga class on Thursday and see how I do with that. I am very excited to try the RPM bike class and the Fit Row class at Gold's because those are "head down, focus, bust it out' types of fitness. I do much better at stuff that doesn't require fancy steps and am looking forward to seeing how far I can take my fitness.

That's all for tonight folks!

Eggs out
xx

2 comments:

  1. Regarding the dance classes - instructors frequently do the same combinations class after class, and occasionally rotate in a new one or two after going to a fitness teacher conference. The other people in the class who are doing so much better than you? They've already had their classes of stumbling along, dancing into the people all around them. I found people generally start on the edges of the class for the first few (especially in the back near a door if possible) and work their way further into the room as their confidence grows.

    If it's not your thing, don't worry about it. But if you're interested in the classes, just pick them up regularly enough that you retain what you learned in the last one and step out when you've done as much as you can handle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm slightly wary of this. It was the first day of new choreography so we all started at the same level of moves-knowledge. There were also 4 other new girls in the class. I was the only one who couldn't get it.

    I don't know if I have the time or inclination to sit and hope I learn it whilst also getting a substandard work out when my goal is to lose weight and be healthy. I want to try the classes again after I hit my goal weight and my goal is to maintain and learn, rather than just lose all the weight :D

    I tried so hard and sucekd so bad for 45 minutes. XD

    ReplyDelete