Saturday, October 22, 2011

Zombie 5k Ain't Got Nothin' On Me!

Red-faced and exhausted after a successful 5k!
WE COMPLETED THE COURSE. It was hard, to be true...so much waiting and strategy required. Finding groups to take on the zombie horde with, ducking and diving. It took us over 3 hours to get to the site because the traffic was so backed up to get TO the event, we were 1.5 hours late for our wave (no fault of our own). They pushed back all the waves, we came - we ran - we conquered. I drank my first beer in ages. Well. Half a beer anyway, while waiting for our times to post. I know our times would have been faster if we didn't need time to stop, amass groups, and devise strategy!

Rockin' Hubby's Old Sweats
We survived though, brains intact. Robert and I both made the choices necessary to survive. We swam through cold 5' high river water for approximately 400 feet, we climbed 50* incline hills that were all mud, we ran through mazes, army crawled through tunnels, we climbed huge net-rope apparatuses, a climbing wall made of 2x4 planks you couldn't get a grip on and had to slide toward enemies waiting on the other side, and took on zombies trying to steal our health tags (we only got three to start with) the whole way. Hubby's old Salvation Army volunteering appreciation shirt and old jogging pants made for excellent race day attire...that is until I jumped in the freezing cold water and almost lost them - TWICE!

We won. This was a relationship building experience. THIS WAS AWESOME. Awesome. We could not have done this without my sister and brother in law, HUGE THANK YOU to them. Can't wait to see if we can do it WITH them next year. Hopefully we'll plan better! :D

My first 5k guys. My husband was there: Picking me up out of the mud when I fell, calling Zombie's attentions away from me as I went for it to clear him a free space to run. I was there for him taking every obstacle first, making sure I was zombie bait for him. We were shields for eachother's backs. We were unstoppable.

Such a high from this whole experience! Can't wait to do it again next year! From the race management website: "Elite Race Management is proud to be the official timer of the 2011 Run For Your Lives Zombie 5k!  Runners will navigate a series of 12 obstacles throughout a 5K course in an attempt to reach the finish line — all while avoiding zombies."

What a day people. What a day. :) We weren't even in the bottom 100, and that's with zero training!

Holly's Time: 1:12:27:7
Holly's Overall Ranking: 6867/7030
Robert's Time: 1:12:28:4
Robert:s Overall Ranking: 6868/7030

No comments:

Post a Comment