Sunday, July 31, 2011

Tidal Bore Rafting - The Start of a New Adventure


Pictured L to R: Myself, Craig, Mom
Today I went tidal bore rafting with my mother. I know I went into detail about it a few entries ago, but I just cannot get over how awesome the entire experience was. Not awesome in the modern sense where everything is awesome, but awesome in the more Biblical sense. Full of awe indeed! Actually seeing the water at low tide, then riding it to high tide was simply one of the most amazing things I've ever seen in nature.

Surprisingly though this entire experience directly relates to my weight loss. Several of the highlights? Firstly when I was passed my rain slicker he told me "I know it's big, but it's just to keep the air off you so it should be alright." No one has ever told me they knew something would be big on me, it's always been, "Oh I'm not sure that will fit" or, "perhaps we shoud try an extender?" even the ever classic, "well...I'm sure you'll be fine without it (and/or) unfortunately you won't be able to participate - safety regulations. Sorry."

Secondly, I almost fell off the boat and the two gents on either side of me didn't hesitate for a second to grab onto me and reel me back in. This is considerably different to the experience I had before when I was having an asthma attack, someone sat me in a chair and then offered to carry the chair to the medical center only to be told, "No you'll put your back out." It wasn't said to be mean, but that kind of thing sticks with you...

Thirdly, I could actually go. I didn't exceed any weight limit at all! I could go and be normal. Fourthly, I didn't need a life jacket in the 'next size up'. I was able to wear the same lifejacket as everyone else. It was even a little bit loose around my waist. I was just like everyone else - nothing special, nothing additional, no pitying looks, no wayward glances at a manager. I was just me, and I was able to be accomodated.

Fifthly, if fifthly is a word, my butt bones hurt because my butt was bouncing away on the hard side of a raft for 3.5 hours. This might not seem like a 'big thing', but let me tell you - my butt used to be a very, very big thing indeed! And sixthly, to top it all off, I had no shame jumping off the side of the boat in calmer waters to take a swim. I didn't worry at all about how silly I looked being pulled back into the boat looking like a wet seal and landing with a PLOP. I didn't worry at all that the 140-something pound female guide would be able to get me in the boat. I knew it'd all be just fine. I knew I was strong enough to swim in the semi-rapids without help, I knew I was strong enough to be fine if I did fall over board, I knew I was fit enough and well enough to sustain myself without help.
Standing in an area soon to be many feet underwater!

It was a freeing, beautiful, awesome experience. I've already excitedly started plotting out all the other fun things I'd like to do..bungee jumping, sky diving, hot air balloons. My weight can't hold me back any longer. My wings are free - watch me fly.

(A very happily tired) Eggs out
xx




No comments:

Post a Comment